Re: OT: How to send an email anonymously ...

Author: Keith Smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: OT: the concrete jungle (was re anonymously)
Subject: Re: OT: How to send an email anonymously ...

Your concrete wall statement made me think of a time when a guy rented a
trailer to a person who was on the move. The trailer owner had no
infrastructure to manage renting trailers. He had only one thing, the
good will and honesty of his fellow Americans. Uhaul was built on the
good will and integrity of American business men. The trailer would make
it's way to it's destination and be dropped off at a gas station, I
presume with a note telling the gas station owner to rent the trailer
and send part of the fees back to the owner.

I remember being 5 or 6 and wanting to go to the neighbor's house on a
Sunday. My mother told that was not the thing to do because Sunday was
family day.

Our country has changed. We have lost the sense of community.... I'm as
guilty as anyone. I belong to a couple groups and that is my community.

I miss the good 'ol days. And a time when muscle cars where plentiful
and cheap!!

On 2015-05-01 17:55, wrote:
> Thanks for all the comments.
>
> Just to clarify, the action that I had thought of taking would not have
> been "meddling" in my neighbor's affairs.
>
> So, what is the best approach to take if you know a complete stranger
> is
> about to break the law, but has not yet done so?
>
> Just ignore it? Or should one at least try to take some constructive
> action to make him aware of the building code requirements? What
> should
> one do when the appropriate responsible authorities decline or refuse
> take any action until *after* an imminent (and costly) violation has
> actually been implemented?
>
> Mesa city building codes require a building permit for any structure
> larger than 200 sq ft, taller than 10-ft, and if there will be any
> electrical or plumbing. The neighbor has poured a foundation for a
> structure more than twice that size ... without a building permit.
>
> If a next-door neighbor is someone I know, I would not hesitate to
> speak
> directly to him or her. However, one of the very strange things (to
> me)
> is all these concrete walls that seem to be in most Arizona
> neighborhoods. I have lived in 6 or 8 different states and never
> before
> have I ever seen or heard of concrete walls separating neighbors in any
> of the other places that I have ever lived.
>
> Yet because of these ubiquitous concrete walls, I doubt that very many
> people get acquainted with their neighbors on the opposite side of a
> concrete back-fence wall.
>
> How sad that city building code inspectors (and this HOA) refuses to be
> more pro-active and helpful.
>

> ------------------
>> Is there an actual reason to meddle in your neighbor's
>> affairs? Even if it were ostensibly for his own good,
>> I do not see any need to interfere with anyone doing
>> anything which does not harm myself or others in any
>> meaningful way.
>>
>> If there is some underlying beef between you and your
>> neighbor, I would advise a focus on living your own life
>> well. It's a more satisfying form of revenge.
>
> There is no underlying "beef" and no "beef" of any kind
> at all, and I certainly do not have any "revenge" motive.

Keith Smith