Re: OT: How to send an email anonymously ...

Author: joe@actionline.com
To: Plug-discuss
Subject: Re: OT: How to send an email anonymously ...
Thanks for all the comments.

Just to clarify, the action that I had thought of taking would not have
been "meddling" in my neighbor's affairs.

So, what is the best approach to take if you know a complete stranger is
about to break the law, but has not yet done so?

Just ignore it? Or should one at least try to take some constructive
action to make him aware of the building code requirements? What should
one do when the appropriate responsible authorities decline or refuse to
take any action until *after* an imminent (and costly) violation has
actually been implemented?

Mesa city building codes require a building permit for any structure
larger than 200 sq ft, taller than 10-ft, and if there will be any
electrical or plumbing. The neighbor has poured a foundation for a
structure more than twice that size ... without a building permit.

If a next-door neighbor is someone I know, I would not hesitate to speak
directly to him or her. However, one of the very strange things (to me)
is all these concrete walls that seem to be in most Arizona
neighborhoods. I have lived in 6 or 8 different states and never before
have I ever seen or heard of concrete walls separating neighbors in any
of the other places that I have ever lived.

Yet because of these ubiquitous concrete walls, I doubt that very many
people get acquainted with their neighbors on the opposite side of a
concrete back-fence wall.

How sad that city building code inspectors (and this HOA) refuses to be
more pro-active and helpful.

------------------
> Is there an actual reason to meddle in your neighbor's
> affairs? Even if it were ostensibly for his own good,
> I do not see any need to interfere with anyone doing
> anything which does not harm myself or others in any
> meaningful way.
>
> If there is some underlying beef between you and your
> neighbor, I would advise a focus on living your own life
> well. It's a more satisfying form of revenge.

There is no underlying "beef" and no "beef" of any kind
at all, and I certainly do not have any "revenge" motive.