Re: python

+ (text/html)
Author: James Dugger
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: python
Mike everyone has there own perspective based on the way they learn
things. To some software engineers who read and work in assembly language,
Fortran is fluff. So what really matters is what works for you. I know
what worked for a 10 year old boy when I was struggling to find the best
way to teach him.

When I look for a book, I go to a bookstore because I want to see the book.
I want to read what the author says about who the book is for. I want to
scan the chapter headings to see if they are logical to me. I flip through
the chapters to see how the author presents concepts. Is the author's
writing style easy for me to read. Is there a lot of technical terms used
that I don't understand? How are the examples built out? Can I follow them
fairly easily. Do the code examples build on a real world use case with
real implementation or does the author use a lot of pseudo-code or worse
functions or methods with "Code goes here..." in lieu of actual code in
the local scope of the function/method.

The book, video, blog, etc that works for you will approach the subject in
a way that you can understand. So what is most important is knowing how
you learn things and finding the resources that best suit your learning
method. There most likely won't be a single book, video, blog or even
course that will get you to proficiency in any language. While these help
with the foundation, nothing I know beats writing a lot of code and testing
it out. And when you are not writing code you are reading code examples.
Immersing yourself in it is the best way to become fluent. Become familiar
with (bookmark) the official language reference sites. Go there often and
learn to understand and use them.

--
James

*Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/james-h-dugger/15/64b/74a/>*