Re: CentOS Networking with V Box

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Butash
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: CentOS Networking with V Box

Sounds like you're binding to the wrong
      interface for your bridge for vbox.  You shouldn't need to put it
      in promiscuous unless you're intending to sniff actually with
      wireshark or like.

      As asked, ifconfig -a would be helpful.

      What is your "outside" interface you're bridging to?  Where does
      the "host" get it's address from?

      Make sure vbox is binding to "that" interface.

      I've not ever had an issue with that occurring unless picking the
      wrong interface on the system on wired.

      Ahh, yes on "wired".  Wireless is different - depending on the
      wireless, the router/ap might not let you get another address.
      Enterprise (and commercial hotspot systems) wifi systems like
      cisco do things like dhcp binding for the host, disallowing you as
      the cpe device from binding with an additional mac address on that
      session as "bridged".  Your only alternative at that point is to
      use the nat interface for translating you out via your acquired
      host address off an internal interface.

      -mb

      On 02/03/2015 08:07 PM, Michael Torres wrote:

Hello all,

                                        I have an problem that  I cannot
                                        seem to figure out.....

                                      I am trying to use "Bridged"
                                      networking in Virtual Box to a
                                      CentOS 7 minimum install distro
                                      that I want to use for my
                                      development server.

                                    I have used Bridged networking in
                                    the past and never had any issues
                                    but that was with older versions of
                                    CentOS

                                  The issue....  DHCP will not assign a
                                  IPv4 address to the server.

                                Here is the weird part...  I was at
                                startbucks and actually got it to work!
                                (Please, hold the "Just use it at
                                starbucks then" comments..I know....)

                              Here is the process I used...

                            -Installed a fresh CentOS 7 on VBox

                          -While on NAT,  I performed "yum update" so my
                          server was fresh with the latest

                        -Disabled SELinux

                      -Disabled the Firewall

                    -Shut down server to reconfigure the adapter to
                    "Bridged"

                  -used adapter type of "Intel Pro 1000 MT Desktop
                  (82540EM)"

                -set it to "Promiscuous Mode"

              -restart the server

            Again, at Starbucks it assigned a IP address, so this leads
            me to believe that the issue is with a configuration on my
            router.

          I am not very good at networking, so any help would be
          appreciated.

        If you need error messages or other output, let me know (and
        possibly the command as I don't know networking that well other
        than "ifconfig")

          Mike