Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Author: Keith Smith
To: plug-discuss
New-Topics: Which Linux Mint 17.1 to install?
Subject: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Hi,

I decided to move to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS after 7 years with RHEL/CentOS.
I'm very used to RHEL and am experiencing an adjustment with this move.

With RHEL I would add a user and use that user as the docroot
(/home/username/public_html) for the associated vhost. This would give
ssh access (after adding to the sshd_config) and sftp access.

When I add a user to Ubuntu it does not create a home directory.

When I did the install I selected LAMP,DNS, and mail servers.

I was not able to shell into the server and found SSH had not been
installed. I was surprised. I installed SSHD and now I can access the
box via the shell.

I'm starting to get the feeling I am approaching this build incorrectly.

I want to build 1 box that handles LAMP+DNS+Mail
(Postfix+Dovecot+Spamassassin+MySql) Looks like the install did a lot of
the heavy lifting by instating and configuring everything.

So my main question is, am I going about this correctly or am I not
understanding the difference between Ubuntu and RHEL?

Thanks a bunch!!

Keith

--
Keith Smith