Re: performance tools

+ (text/html)
Author: Ted Gould
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: performance tools
On Sun, 2014-08-24 at 13:59 -0700, der.hans wrote:

> Here's an excellent diagram for how that fits in with other parts of the
> system.
>
> http://www.brendangregg.com/linuxperf.html

Something he mentions, but doesn't go into to detail on, that we've had
luck with is LTTng. We've started adding LTTng tracepoints into various
modules. They're relatively lightweight and provide a common place from
multiple processes to submit events (key for us). It also means we can
take a "production image" and enable tracing to start getting data
without having special binaries.

It's not up and running yet, but we'll be doing per-image application
startup times for all the applications in a default Ubuntu Phone image.
That way we can watch for regressions/improvements over time. The data
will be captured using LTTng tracepoints.

I keep meaning to write a blog post about this. Soon, I swear :-)

Ted