Re: Laptop Recommendations

Author: techlists@phpcoderusa.com
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Laptop Recommendations

I agree with you David. Only thing I would add is it is important to
know how the machine will be used. You are right. I have a 12 year old
Toshiba that has a 1G Celeron and 256mb of ram. I was able to load and
test Qmail Toaster on CentOS 5.

However I would never want to do any Drupal development on it. I think
short of doing some serious manipulation of tons of data an i3 with
virtualization turned on and 4GB of RAM should do just fine. I would
expect to be able to run Drupal Commerce localhost with little problem
and Drupal Commerce is a resource hog.

I would not go below an i3 for any serious dev work unless you are doing
some basic LAMP dev. Or just email and web.

As you pointed out the prices have fallen substantially.

I think the actual question was about heat though.