Re: Laptop Recommendations

Author: techlists@phpcoderusa.com
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Laptop Recommendations
On 2014-08-12 19:25, Mark Phillips wrote:
> Does anyone use an Dell XPS15 or M3800 laptop? I am looking at these
> two models, or perhaps the developer edition with Ubuntu
> pre-installed. I have read that these machines get really hot...to the
> point of the machine crashing. Just wondering about anyone's personal
> experience.
>
> Also, any recommendations for other brands? I am looking for a core
> i7, at least 8 GB or RAM, and a large SSD to run Debian. Many of the
> "native linux" machines are huge and thick....I liked these two Dell
> models as they have a sleeker design and don't weigh 10 lbs.

That is a lot of machine. Are you doing something that needs that much
power and RAM?

I watch the ads when looking because I do not need to upgrade right
away. I just bought an Dell laptop on sale for $399+tax. i3-4030u /
4GB DDS3 RAM. Was easy to add MINT and the savings was great. Does not
seem to heat and I expect it will last well over 6 years. I think 10+
is realistic.

Walmart had the exact laptop on display Saturday for $399 and it had a
1tb drive. Mine came with a 500GB drive.

Unless you need a lot of power one of these would be a great Linux
laptop.