Re: Using Bind on local dev box

+ (text/html)
Author: James Mcphee
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Using Bind on local dev box
You have any number of options for this. dnsmasq, etc.

A split DNS system (running your own BIND or whatnot) is quite easy to do,
and only requires that you keep your DNS server (or servers) on something
resembling high-availability hardware. Obviously, if you set your internal
DNS as primary on all your internal hosts and it goes down, your internal
stuff will have a bit of a problem.

So yeah, basic BIND installation, with forwarders set up to whatever your
favorite DNS servers are, and implementing your own TLDs is pretty common
and you shouldn't have any great difficulty.

Just be sure that your TLD isn't already taken.

https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:38 AM, <> wrote:

> I'm configuring a dev box and was wondering if I should use bind and if
> there is any issues I should be aware of like security.
>
> The box lives on a private IP behind a router connected to the internet.
> It will have no ports forwarded. This is home office so no fancy routers
> or anything like that. Currently I name all my development vhosts with the
> tld of .dev. Then I place the ip and domain in my hosts file on my linux
> and win box. I was thinking running bind might make this a bit easier....
> maybe. I'm guessing though that I would need to tell my local boxes that
> they should look at the local bind implementation.
>
> Any thought? Thank you in advance!!
>
> Keith

James McPhee