Using Bind on local dev box

Author: techlists@phpcoderusa.com
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Using Bind on local dev box

I'm configuring a dev box and was wondering if I should use bind and if
there is any issues I should be aware of like security.

The box lives on a private IP behind a router connected to the internet.
It will have no ports forwarded. This is home office so no fancy
routers or anything like that. Currently I name all my development
vhosts with the tld of .dev. Then I place the ip and domain in my hosts
file on my linux and win box. I was thinking running bind might make
this a bit easier.... maybe. I'm guessing though that I would need to
tell my local boxes that they should look at the local bind
implementation.

Any thought? Thank you in advance!!

Keith