Re: SSD is dying- clone help

Author: kitepilot@kitepilot.com
To: Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: Re: SSD is dying- clone help FINAL CURTAIN
Subject: Re: SSD is dying- clone help
I don't see the need to complicate this with 'Clonezilla', and unless you
use the right rsync switches (-DX --super that I recall) rsync won't work.
This is how I've done it 917368425+1 times:

Boot your box from a live CD.
Mount your boot device to /mnt
cd /mnt;
tar jcf /tmp/boot-drv.tar.bz2 .

Replace your boot drive, boot again with a live CD, make your partitions,
swap space and filesystem as desired.
Mount your new and empty filesystem to /mnt and
cd /mnt;
tar xf /tmp/boot-drv.tar.bz2
Make sure that your /mnt/etc/fstab matches whatever devices/labels/UUIDs (I
normally set my new drives to the old UUIDs and forget about it).
chroot /mnt
grub-install (supergrub will bail you out if you have difficulties here.
reboot and enjoy... :)
ET

PS: If you have any question,
you will get any answer.