Re: Switched off Ubuntu

+ (text/html)
Author: Derek Trotter
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Switched off Ubuntu
Seems to me things would work out better if the Gnome developers would
write code for a computer without a touch screen and separate code for
one with. Then let the user decide which one they want. If this were
done, both could be included in the iso file for the installation
media. Then while you're installing, you're asked if you want the
version that supports a touchscreen or the version that does not.

On 07/30/2013 01:45 PM, JD Austin wrote:
> Yes I know... I HATE IT. Every time my mouse hits the edge my desktop
> flies away. It only makes sense if you're using a touch screen device
> AND I'M NOT. So.. bye bye gnome/unity/etc.. hello Cinnamon/KDE.
>

> -- JD Austin
> Voice: 480.269.4335 (480 2MY Geek)
> <mailto:jd@twingeckos.com>
>

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM, Ed <
> <mailto:plug@0x1b.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM, JD Austin <
>     <mailto:jd@twingeckos.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Paul Mooring <
>     <mailto:paul@opscode.com>> wrote:

>     >>
>     >> That being said, you're right just switching distros for the
>     desktop
>     >> environment wouldn't make a whole lot of since, but things like
>     apt (and
>     >> it's overly opinionated packages) and upstart are too integral
>     to the OS to
>     >> make using alternatives not a huge pain.

>     >

>     >
>     > I remember when I first switched from Slackware (everything
>     complied from
>     > source) to Redhat... all of their changes infuriated me;
>     especially changes
>     > to the boot process which resulted in a machine that wouldn't
>     boot when I
>     > rebuilt the kernel the 'Slackware way'.  I eventually got used
>     to Redhat's
>     > way and have a love hate relationship with RPM/yum.  I used
>     Debian for a
>     > long time too and liked apt-get over yum for a long time.
>      Ubuntu's changes
>     > are about as annoying to me as Redhat's were.  Apt-get/yum are about
>     > equivalent and both can get you into dependency hell but they
>     work for the
>     > most part.

>     >
>     > I haven't liked the changes in Fedora with Gnome lately
>     either... switched
>     > my desktop to cinnamon instead.  I want my start menu and virtual
>     > desktops... I don't want a desktop that wants to be a tablet.

>     >
>     > JD

>     >

>     >
>     > -- JD Austin
>     > Voice: 480.269.4335 (480 2MY Geek)
>     >  <mailto:jd@twingeckos.com>

>     >

>     Hi JD - Fedora/Gnome3 has virtual desktops - wheel-o-fortune style.
>     The menus just got their own desktop (The Activities Overview), they
>     didn't go away. That said, the " ready for touch" parts of Gnome3 can
>     be a PITA when mousing around, and the devs are definitely driving
>     their own magic bus - but, if you hang in there you might notice how
>     the whole desktop experience is compressed and your apps forced into
>     the foreground.

>     This really starts once you get the keyboard commands into muscle
> [...]

"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore