Re: Switched off Ubuntu

Author: Ed
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Switched off Ubuntu
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM, JD Austin <> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Paul Mooring <> wrote:
>>
>> That being said, you're right just switching distros for the desktop
>> environment wouldn't make a whole lot of since, but things like apt (and
>> it's overly opinionated packages) and upstart are too integral to the OS to
>> make using alternatives not a huge pain.
>

> I remember when I first switched from Slackware (everything complied from
> source) to Redhat... all of their changes infuriated me; especially changes
> to the boot process which resulted in a machine that wouldn't boot when I
> rebuilt the kernel the 'Slackware way'. I eventually got used to Redhat's
> way and have a love hate relationship with RPM/yum. I used Debian for a
> long time too and liked apt-get over yum for a long time. Ubuntu's changes
> are about as annoying to me as Redhat's were. Apt-get/yum are about
> equivalent and both can get you into dependency hell but they work for the
> most part.
>
> I haven't liked the changes in Fedora with Gnome lately either... switched
> my desktop to cinnamon instead. I want my start menu and virtual
> desktops... I don't want a desktop that wants to be a tablet.
>
> JD
>

> -- JD Austin
> Voice: 480.269.4335 (480 2MY Geek)

Hi JD - Fedora/Gnome3 has virtual desktops - wheel-o-fortune style.
The menus just got their own desktop (The Activities Overview), they
didn't go away. That said, the " ready for touch" parts of Gnome3 can
be a PITA when mousing around, and the devs are definitely driving
their own magic bus - but, if you hang in there you might notice how
the whole desktop experience is compressed and your apps forced into
the foreground.

This really starts once you get the keyboard commands into muscle
memory. One thing I did notice was a definite loss of overall,
multi-Vdesktop context until I realized it was right there on The
Activities Overview - that was right after I began launching apps via
search. Press the meta/windows key, start to spell your app or it's
function and it is there in your search results - if you did this
before, it learns and sorts your app as the first one - just hit enter
-> you and it open on a new virtual desktop (or you can direct it to
open on a specific one if you wish) ready to go. meta,c,h,enter and
chromium opens

After some immersion therapy, as desktops go, Gnome3 really gets out
of your way - almost as nice as i3

Happy Hunting - Ed