Re: HELP: My System Died After an Update/Upgrade

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Phillips
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: HELP: My System Died After an Update/Upgrade
Brian,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I reinstalled gnome and now
I can log in and do not get the "Oh no, something is wrong..." error. I
still get the "missing system tray" error.

However, all I get when I log in is the background image....no menu bar on
the left, no virtual screens on the right, no info bar at the top...just
the background image. I also ran update and upgrade, and still no change.

I also tried using 'tasksel install gnome-desktop --new-install' in an
attempt to get back to how it was originally installed, but that did
nothing to help the situation.

Any suggestions to get my original desktop back?

Thanks,

Mark