Re: Times to move to Linux

+ (text/html)
Author: Sam Kreimeyer
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Times to move to Linux
What about using public APs from a distance (cantennas are easy enough to
put together), a live OS and a spoofed MAC address? As long as you leave
your smartphone/tracking device at home and compartmentalize your activity
(ie, don't visit sites or use logins you use in your day to day online
interactions), I would think that it would be extremely difficult to link
traffic with a person.

More involved exploitation and monitoring (such as malicious files) would
probably mean that there is an actual agent or agents interested in your
activity. Unless you're into some serious naughtiness or a Muslim (and even
those people aren't monitored very effectively [the Tsarnaev bros. come to
mind]), I wouldn't anticipate the NSA purposing those limited resources to
users. I think with open source software and a little bit of cryptography,
you can subvert most of the dragnet data mining tactics in place.

And as a government employee myself, I can say that we are far from the
hardest working demographic. I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority
of individuals flagged by whatever magic 8-ball algos are in place in NSA
datacenters go without investigation.