Re: Wifi PIN

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Mike Butash, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Wifi PIN
Do a google search on "cracking WEP" and you will find a LOT of information
including instructions on how to crack it in 60 seconds.

WPA-PSK is pretty good as long as all your equipment supports it. Some old
gear may not.

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM, Michael Butash <> wrote:

> Use wpa2-psk, make sure it uses aes/ccmp, about all that holds true for
> consumer-grade right now. There are proprietary "pin" or "pair" methods,
> but wpa2 with a large/complex pre-share key is much better standard than
> trusting poor vendor implementations of crypto.
>
> About anything else is inherently insecure in some form until you spawn a
> pki/ca/radius for peap/eap-tls. Even mschap-v2 is vulnerable without some
> kind of pki exchange tunnelling methods.
>
> Friends don't let friends use wep.
>
> -mb
>

> On 05/09/2013 08:17 PM, keith smith wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I just got off the phone with Dell. I bought a new Dell and it would
>> not connect to my WIFI.
>>
>> I have another computer that is in another room that has worked on this
>> network for 3+ years w/o an issue.
>>
>> The first guy told me to never password protect my router, and never
>> configure an access list. He said by using a WEP key my router is
>> secure. I disagree. I'm thinking the more layers of security the better.
>>
>> So the second guy says the problem was I needed to disable the router's
>> PIN, which he did and then he changed the wireless channel to 6 (was
>> auto) and the new Dell was able to access the Internet.
>>
>> However then the computer in the other room could not access the
>> Internet. Ok, after a reboot it now connects via WIFI.
>>
>> I was able to re-activate my access list. I had a WEP key in place the
>> whole time.
>>
>> I did a little reading on the PIN and it appears it is not all that
>> important and is a consumer grade protection in case no other security
>> is used.
>>
>> Is the PIN just a low grade security level that is not all that
>> effective? Also do you agree with the first guy that said the only
>> change should be to add a WEP key?
>>
>> Thanks!!

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.