Wifi PIN

+ (text/html)
Author: keith smith
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Wifi PIN

Hi,

I just got off the phone with Dell.  I bought a new Dell and it would not connect to my WIFI.

I have another computer that is in another room that has worked on this network for 3+ years w/o an issue.

The first guy told me to never password protect my router, and never configure an access list.  He said by using a WEP key my router is secure.  I disagree.  I'm thinking the more layers of security the better.

So the second guy says the problem was I needed to disable the router's PIN, which he did and then he changed the wireless channel to 6 (was auto) and the new Dell was able to access the Internet.

However then the computer in the other room could not access the Internet.  Ok, after a reboot it now connects via WIFI.

I was able to re-activate my access list. I had a WEP key in place the whole time.

I did a little reading on the PIN and it appears it is not all that important and is a consumer grade protection in case no other security is used.

Is the PIN just a low grade security level that is not all that effective?  Also do you agree with the first guy that said the only change should be to add a WEP key?

Thanks!!