Re: upgrade bad

Author: Brian Cluff
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: upgrade bad
Check in /var/log and see if you have dpkg.log. If you do, you should
be able to look at the bottom of the file and see what you just installed.

At that point you should be able to uninstall, downgrade, upgrade or
properly configure it... what ever you think will best fix your system.

do, "apt-cache show <package_name>", and it will show you if there is
more than one version available to install. If there isn't multiple
versions, you might still have an old version available that you can
downgrade to in /var/cache/apt/archives/

To install those, simply do dpkg -i <path/to/the/package.deb>

After that, if that package upgrade was the one that broke your system,
then it should be back to normal.

Keep in mind that another upgrade will put the newer package that broke
your system right back on there so you might want to skip any upgrades
till the system tells you that package has been upgraded to a newer version.

There are ways to tell the system to make a certain version of a package
stay on there till it's told differently, but that can cause problems in
and of itself... mostly just keeping your system from being able to upgrade.

Brian Cluff