Re: Questions about Kubuntu 12.04 and its updates

Author: Robert Holtzman
To: plug-discuss, plug-discuss
New-Topics: Re: Questions about ... updates
Subject: Re: Questions about Kubuntu 12.04 and its updates
.........snip.........

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 11:35:14PM -0700, wrote:

> The best (for me) system I ever had was PCLinuxOS with KDE 3.5 and I still
> have it on a couple of my systems which I *never* "updated" and which have
> remained rock solid.

Do you ever go online with these computers? The ones with unpatched
security holes?

         .........snip........

> So, please forgive the rant, but why can't we have stable Linux distro
> that doesn't try to force endless "updates" on us? I hate updates. They
> almost always mess up my systems.
>
> I just want a stable system that does not keep pushing changes.

You aren't forced to install *all* updates. In Ubuntu you can choose
only the security updates.

> Are any of you Kubuntu users who have done all these hundreds of changes
> to 12.04 without experiencing problems as a result?

Not Kubuntu, but I ran Ubuntu for several years (still do occaisionally)
and installed all updates with wild abandon. Nary a hiccup.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,