ssh -Y question

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: ssh -Y question
I used to regularly do ssh -X user@machine or ssh -Y user@machine so I
could run a graphical program on the remote machine and have the display on
the machine I was sitting at. In fact, I used to do this at installfests
from my laptop (lapdog2) to the headless PXE server (fogtest) right next to
me. That stopped working months ago and I have not been able to figure out
why or how to fix it. Here is a sample of what I get:

larry@hammerhead:~$ ssh -Y fogtest
> Linux fogtest 2.6.32-41-generic-pae #91-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 13 12:00:09 UTC
> 2012 i686 GNU/Linux
> Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS
>
> <snip>

Last login: Mon Oct 15 16:37:44 2012 from sunfish.thiel.org
> larry@fogtest:~$ gedit
> GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes
> are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale
> NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for
> information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Failed to
> connect to socket /tmp/dbus-sjFuIo1Vhr: Connection refused)
> ^C
> larry@fogtest:~$

As you can see, the ssh connection is fine but using a graphical program
like gedit does not. So I was making another attempt today (different
target) and it worked:

larry@hammerhead:~$ ssh -Y sunfish
> Welcome to Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-31-generic x86_64)
>
> * Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/
>
> 22 packages can be updated.
> 12 updates are security updates.
>
> Last login: Tue Aug 28 21:27:53 2012 from hammerhead.thiel.org
> larry@sunfish:~$ gedit
> larry@sunfish:~$

Anyone know where to look or how to fix fogtest?

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.