Re: lubuntu 'find'

+ (text/html)
Author: Lisa Kachold
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: lubuntu 'find'
Hi Betty,

To use the mlocate package in Kubutun, you can just enter:

# locate $filepart |more

or for binaries in your $PATH,

# which $filename

Of course if you are not in a su or root session, you will only search your
own $PATH.

If your locate database has not been updated (by cron - setup when the
mlocate package is installed by dpkg) you can also not find things. You
can manually update this with:

# updatedb &

If you have a huge mounted partition that you don't want to include, you
can configure your /etc/located.conf to ignore that mount or filesystem.

The mlocate package has various Buntu installation bugs, so you might need
to verify it:

# find / -name updatedb

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM, Michael Havens <> wrote:

> I have an 'mlocate.db' but not slocate. Is that the same thing? Or else
> does this mean I have to do it the way I've been doing it.... manually?
>

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Matt Graham <>wrote:
>
>> > On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM, betty <>
>> wrote:
>>
> [see if you have] /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db ; if that file exists and is
>> reasonably large,
>>
>> your distro is running updatedb every so often.
>>
>> There are some GUI-fied interfaces to locate too. Not sure what they are,
>> since I'm a command-line sort of person.
>>
>> --
>> Matt G / Dances With Crows
>> The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/
>> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

> --

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice