Re: lubuntu 'find'

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: lubuntu 'find'

From: Michael Havens <>
> try apropos part-of-file-name

apropos is equivalent to "man -k" and is only for searching man pages. I
think that what betty wants is "locate", as in "locate \*some string\*" should
give you a list of files whose names contain the string "some string". NOTE:
This only works if your distro runs updatedb every so often. Most distros are
set up so that updatedb indexes all files once a day at roughly 4am. Check
/var/lib/slocate/slocate.db ; if that file exists and is reasonably large,
your distro is running updatedb every so often.

There are some GUI-fied interfaces to locate too. Not sure what they are,
since I'm a command-line sort of person.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/