Re: An introduction and RFC on education path.

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: An introduction and RFC on education path.
Welcome. It sounds like you are well on your way.

You would be welcome at our installfests and it sounds like you might enjoy
them. I run them on the 1st and 3rd Saturday each month from 10am to 4pm
and the University of Advance Technologies (about 3 blocks west of I-10 on
Baseline Toad).

FYI, there is a Free Software Stamtische (social event for Linux folk)
Tuesday at 7pm at Iguana Macks down in Chandler. There is also an Ubuntu
Hour coming up on 6/28 at 7pm at the Extream Bean in Tempe (SW corner of
McClintock and Southern).

For books, I am partial to Keir Thomas's works.

For the rest (schools, certs, and career) I leave you in the hands of our
professionals.

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Kenn <> wrote:

> Greetings fellow Linux fans!
>
> Hi, my name is Ken, I'm a recovering Windows user. ;] After experimenting
> with several distros over the years I settled on Ubuntu for my typical day
> to day stuff, file & print sharing etc. I use a few amateur radio apps like
> fldigi and Gnome Predict sat tracking. When Shotwell or Gimp isn't enough I
> use Photoshop 7 through Wine. I've done some experimenting with VirtualBox
> as well. I want to be more in the know on command lines, scripting, small
> networks and servers, administration and security, running the occasional
> Windows apps, etc. Paths I'm considering are:
>

> 1. Self teach. This approach usually works well for me. I do best at my
> own pace and still find a good textbook(s) the key to getting started.
> Experimenting and Google are my friends. I haven't found a Linux book I
> really like so far, any recommends?
>
> 2. Community college. My concern is how many times I've entered a program
> only to find the more advanced classes weren't offered later. Cost and
> distance are a factor as I live in Fountain Hills.
>
> 3. Online classes. Does anyone offer these that are worthwhile?
>
> 4. Private schools. Probably very expensive and intense?
>

> So what do you gurus recommend? If I go for some Linux certs, what
> institution should I get those from? Are there many employment opps for a
> Linux Cert holder in Phoenix Metro?
>

> Thanks for your input,
>

> -Ken

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.