Disk Space Inaccuracy

+ (text/html)
Author: Brandon
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Disk Space Inaccuracy
Hello. I'm having some issues with disk space incorrectly being reported.
We currently have a VPS server which runs in a Virtuozzo container. The
issue is I am more frequently being alerted by Nagios that the server is
beginning to running low on space. Running df indicates this is true but
running du shows we are actually using much less disk space.

We have contacted the hosting provider about this and are told it appears
to be an issue with the disk quota and that a reboot will fix it. A reboot
does seem to fix the issue for a short time but does not seem to be the
root cause. Each contact with the hosting provider returns the same results.

What is interesting is that I have found that restarting Apache temporarily
corrects the issue as well. However, a couple days later and I'm back in
the same situation. I've searched online and found nothing that could
indicate why this could be happening. Any ideas would be helpful. I
included a copy of the ssh session which shows the issue I am having. Watch
the Used space. Thanks.

Some server details:
CentOS 5
Apache 2.2.14

[root@production ~]# df -h
/dev/vzfs              90G   78G   13G  87% /
none                  8.0G  4.0K  8.0G   1% /dev
[root@production ~]# du -hs /
62G     /
[root@production ~]# service httpd restart
Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
[root@production ~]# df -h
/dev/vzfs              90G   61G   30G  68% /
none                  8.0G  4.0K  8.0G   1% /dev
[root@production ~]#

--
Brandon Haymore