Re: How to keep cups printing working?

Author: joe@actionline.com
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to keep cups printing working?

Thanks for responding Brian.

You wrote:
> Try checking the error policy for the printer.
> Printers -> the printer that is having problems -> Set default options
> -> policies

Where can I do this? I can't find anyplace where there is an option
to select "the printer that is having problems" and/or where to set
Default options to "retry-job"

At this browser address: http://127.0.0.1:631/printers/
there is a "printers" tab, but under that I cannot find
any place to set default options.

Also cannot find anything like that in "Control Center"

> Make sure that Error policy is set to "retry-job". If it's set to "stop
> printer", every time you have any kind of printing error, the print
> server for that particular queue will be set to stopped, and I believe
> it will even survive a server reset or even a reboot.
>
> If you have multiple users printing from this system or have it setup to
> serve to multiple machines, you might want to go to Administration and
> under server settings and check off "Allow users to cancel any job (not
> just their own)" That way a print queue can't get jammed up by someone
> that printers something and then walks away leaving a bad print job
> jamming up the queue with no way for someone else to clear it.
>
> As for your error, check the permissions for /etc/cups/printers.conf

At this location, this is what I find:

-rw------- 1 root sys 130 Mar 7 21:55 printers.conf.O
-rw------- 1 root sys 130 Mar 7 21:56 printers.conf

And here is the content of "printers.conf":

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4.6
# Written by cupsd on 2012-03-07 22:05
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING

> If everything else fails, you can always edit that file directly and
> remove the section of config that corresponds with the offending printer.

How should I edit that file? What content should be added there?