Re: How to keep cups printing working?

Author: Brian Cluff
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to keep cups printing working?
Try checking the error policy for the printer.
Printers -> the printer that is having problems -> Set default options
-> policies

Make sure that Error policy is set to "retry-job". If it's set to "stop
printer", every time you have any kind of printing error, the print
server for that particular queue will be set to stopped, and I believe
it will even survive a server reset or even a reboot.

If you have multiple users printing from this system or have it setup to
serve to multiple machines, you might want to go to Administration and
under server settings and check off "Allow users to cancel any job (not
just their own)" That way a print queue can't get jammed up by someone
that printers something and then walks away leaving a bad print job
jamming up the queue with no way for someone else to clear it.

As for your error, check the permissions for /etc/cups/printers.conf

If everything else fails, you can always edit that file directly and
remove the section of config that corresponds with the offending printer.

Brian Cluff