Re: tablet for SCaLE trip?

Author: der.hans
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: tablet for SCaLE trip?
Am 17. Jan, 2012 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:

> I have a Transformer Hans. I will bring to to Stammtische tonight so you
> can look it over. I have no idea whether Cyanogen is working on modding

Danke. I meant to ask about it Thursday, but got distracted.

> it. I do know someone has ported an earlier version of ubuntu to run on it
> but the article said it was not complete and they had no idea about a newer
> ubuntu.

A good point. I would love to be able to run a normal distro on the tablet
as well.

> Todd says the Ubuntu Tablet is doing nothing but talking so I don't look
> for anything from there anytime soon.

OK.

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:38 AM, der.hans <> wrote:
>
>> Am 16. Jan, 2012 schwätzte Stephen so:

>>> The 2 of those i would suggest would be the B&N and the Viewsonic
>>> Gtab, they are both very nice physically, and the Gtab has identical
>>> specs and performance to the Galaxy tab. I haven't looked to see if
>>> any of those are doing the M$ licencing or not.
>>>

>> "Experience the Freedom of Android" is the tagline on the ViewSonic
>> product page, so I hope there's no m$ tax involved :). I'll sniff around
>> for that.

I looked up Viewsonic on the train in today and it appears Viewsonic is
also paying the bogus m$ tax :(.

>> Hmm, Asus Eee Pad Transformer might be available. That's an interesting
>> option. Foolish store is offering m$ office coupon with it.

Forgot to check out the Asus.

>> There's also the Toshiba Thrive.

Didn't find anything about Toshiba and the bogus m$ tax.

ciao,

der.hans
#  SCaLE10x: January 20-22 2012 http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale10x/
#  ABLEconf: Saturday, March 24th 2012 @ UAT in Tempe http://www.ABLEconf.com/
#  "Printing and publishing has been a big industry in the city since the
#  early 1800s, when New York publishers were the first American printers
#  with access to pirated English best sellers."
#  -- New York Magazine, 2007Jun04