Re: Help. I think my boot sector craped out

Author: Michael Havens
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Help. I think my boot sector craped out
Thanks for being willing to send me a distro, Lisa. My address is
     3486 E Granite DR
     Cottonwood, AZ 86326
     The last name is Havens

Last night a PLUGER and myself were up until 2AM and we determined the
drive was toast. Here are a couple of relevant correspondenses:

Michael Havens
<>     Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 1:50 AM
To:
root@1[hda1]# fdisk -l /dev/hda1

Disk /dev/hda1: 38.3 GB, 38329772544 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 74268 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Disk /dev/hda1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
root@1[hda1]# ls /dev/hd*
/dev/hda /dev/hda1 /dev/hda2 /dev/hda5 /dev/hdc
root@1[hda1]#

So this seems to indicate that my partiton table has been hosed
somehow. Is that all it says? Is it like I can repair the partition
table but after I do that I better replace the drive?
:-)~MIKE~(-:

Add star
Michael Butash
<>     Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 2:26 AM
To: Michael Havens <>
Eww, yeah that's not good.  If you had a backup of your geometry
(fdisk -l) you could theoretically repartition right over it and just
go on with life, assuming the data is there, but I'm thinking it's
really not.  You're getting into forensics at this point to data
recover.

On the flip side, i don't know what kind of forensic restore
applications might be out there to do this automagically. Not had to
(knock on wood). You can pay to have it done, but it is NOT cheap.

Best case is you have a backup to move on, worst you will next time.
Might need to kick something and move on.

--