Re: OT: archival storage

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Jarvis
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: archival storage

    As I said, I'm just learning about JPEG 2000 myself.

Quoting from the archival storage article
      mentioned below:

"As an improvement to the 1992
      JPEG standard, JPEG 2000 provides both lossy and lossless
      compression. Lossless compression allows the exact original data
      to be reconstructed from the compressed data. And yet, lossless
      compression typically achieves 50% to 60% reduction in file size
      compared with source files—without sacrificing resolution quality
      in the conversion! For this reason, among others, JPEG 2000 is
      becoming popular in the digital preservation industry. File
      extensions for JPEG 2000 files are .jp2 and .j2k. [Newer additions
      to the JPEG 2000 standard use file extensions .jpf & .jpx. See
      also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG_2000.]
PNG (Portable Network Graphics) is another ISO standard file
        format that provides lossless data compression. In some cases,
        such as images having areas with many pixels of the same color,
        PNG is even more space efficient than JPEG 2000. However, JPEG
        2000 is more error resilient than PNG and is gaining a foothold
        in the digital preservation industry; hence the author’s focus
        on JPEG 2000 for general use.

JPEG 2000 software for Windows is identified in the following
        incomplete list of products—

Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Photoshop
FastStone Image Viewer (free for personal use)
XnView [and IrfanView] (free for personal use)
ACDSee Photo Editor
Corel PaintShop Photo Pro"

    There is some JPEG 2000 software (mostly plugins) available for
    Linux, but it seems to be slow in coming.

    -mj-

    Eric Shubert wrote:

On