OT: archival storage

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Jarvis
To: plug
Subject: OT: archival storage

      I've just recently found out about a company with CD/DVD
      media/drives which don't use dye layer but actually melt a pit in
      the media. Here's the company site
http://millenniata.com/ and a
      good article about archival storage in general
http://goo.gl/vDwAZ.
    The drives aren't ready to ship and I was going to pre-order one,
    but decided to let someone else be the early adopter and have the
    fun with the low s/n machines.

    I also had somehow missed or ignored information about JPEG 2000
    files, which I should have been using instead of .jpg for my
    personal storage. For a while it looks like .jpg & .tif are
    still the lingua franca for image exchange, however.