Re: Copy to smb share

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Copy to smb share
From: Joseph Sinclair <>
> Once you have it mounted and working, don't forget to add it
> to /etc/fstab
> //my-airport-extreme.local/drobo/folder/
> /home/shares/drobo/folder/    smbfs    file_mode=0644,
> dir_mode=0755,uid=####,gid=####,credentials=

smbfs is deprecated and should no longer be used. Use cifs instead.

Also, if you attempt to mount a SMB share and it sits there forever and
doesn't ever connect, you may need to add "port=139" to the option string.
The Samba suite that shipped with at least one distro tried port 445 first and
just sat there forever if it didn't get a response, instead of trying 445 and
then trying 139.

> you can just "sudo mount /home/shares/drobo/folder/" to re-establish
> the connection.

mount is SUID root. No sudo needed, provided fstab has "users" in the option
field. When using SMB, though, the user who's doing the mount *must* own the
mountpoint. Otherwise the mount will fail with misleading/stupid error
messages.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/