Re: where is squid proxy

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Havens
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: where is squid proxy
then I suppose I'll use netcat. I suppose I put 'nc- p 5050' in a file
somewhere. Could someone tell me which file?
funny.... reading the man page for nc (trying to figure out how to get it to
work) was a hoot! the copyright section is rather entertaining. check it
out!

here is the excerpt I was talking about:

COPYRIGHT
       Netcat  is  entirely my own creation, although plenty of other code
was
       used as examples.  It is freely given away to the Internet community
in
       the  hope  that  it  will be useful, with no restrictions except
giving
       credit where it is due.  No GPLs, Berkeley copyrights or  any  of
that
       nonsense.  The author assumes NO responsibility for how anyone uses
it.
       If netcat makes you rich somehow and you're feeling generous, mail me
       check.   If you are affiliated in any way with Microsoft Network, get
       life.  Always ski in control.  Comments, questions, and patches to
hob‐
       .

NOTES
       Some  port  names  in /etc/services contain hyphens -- netcat
currently
       will not correctly parse those unless you escape the hyphens with
back‐
       slashes (e.g. "netcat localhost 'ftp\-data'").

BUGS
       Efforts  have  been made to have netcat "do the right thing" in all
its
       various modes.  If you believe that it is doing the wrong  thing
under
       whatever  circumstances,  please notify me and tell me how you think
it
       should behave.  If netcat is not able to do some  task  you  think
up,
       minor  tweaks  to the code will probably fix that.  It provides a
basic
       and easily-modified template for writing  other  network
applications,
       and  I  certainly  encourage people to make custom mods and send in
any
       improvements they make to it. Continued feedback from the Internet
com‐
       munity is always welcome!

EXAMPLES
       For  several netcat recipes, please see
/usr/share/doc/netcat/README.gz
       and /usr/share/doc/netcat/README.Debian.gz.

AUTHOR
       This manual page was written by Joey Hess <> and
Robert
       Woodcock <>, cribbing heavily from Netcat's README
file.

       Netcat was written by a guy we know as the Hobbit <>.

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Ed <> wrote:

> Squid is a proxy server found at http://www.squid-cache.org/
> I would guess that apt-get thinks of it as squid-cache.
>
> Unless you already have Squid (doesn't sound like it) already set up -
> this is a bit over the top just to let port 5050 past the firewall +
> NAT.
> If you have a home network, Squid is a good way to control access to
> the Internet. If you have one computer on a broadband connection, then
> just opening port 5050 should be enough, add forwarding if you have
> NAT setup. Squid is a heavy service, other tunneling tools exist like
> nc (aka netcat) or ssh or stunnel that will be much easier to set up.
>
> Once you are set up, you should check to see which service you have
> listening at port 5050 with something like "netstat -ta" or wireshark,
> etc
>
> Happy Holidays - Ed