Re: OT: USB Drive enclosure help

+ (text/html)
Author: Lisa Kachold
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: USB Drive enclosure help
Hi Peter!

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 4:50 PM, AZ Pete <> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a friend who's laptop (Windows) died, but thinks the drive should be
> ok. She bought a new MacBook and would like to copy her data from the old
> laptop. My thought was to take the drive out of the defunct laptop and put
> it in a USB enclosure which could then be connected to the new Macbook.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations on USB drive enclosures makes/models?
>
> I'm very well versed with Windows and Unix, but I'm not a Mac person. I'm
> assuming that this scenario would work. Let me know if I'm missing
> something.
>
> Any thoughts would be helpful.
>
> Peter

1) Is this an IDE/SATA or SCSI drive?
2) Are you sure it was not part of a RAID (10 or 5) volume?
3) Drive Size? [Assuming this is NTFS? WindowsXP (not 3.11)]

I would just pop it out and head over to
Fry's<http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/tag/hard+drive+enclosure>and
see what they have?

Open the packaging for the enclosures and verify fit, and compatibility
(i.e. be sure your SCSI connection is not super mini for instance)?

I haven't used
Computercablesource.com<http://www.computercablesource.com/external-enclosures.aspx>site,
but they have a good display of the many different drive enclosure
types.

[NOTE: While firewire is fast, plug and play across platforms leaves
something to be desired; stick with USB.]

Your drive enclosure choices are going to be limited by drive type; drive
size - but anything USB is going to "work" with OS X (automagically).

Under linux you will have to mount it with a type switch command:

Plug her in: "dmesg" to get drive name: /dev/$name example= /dev/sdb or
/dev/sdb1 (first partition)

mkdir /mnt/NTFS
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/$name /mnt/NTFS

You should be able to read/write everything.

NOTE: If the drive contains low level virus, malware or trojan files, there
would still be a risk of cross platform
infection<http://www.macforensicslab.com/ProductsAndServices/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&products_id=174>
.

Be sure to protect and scan your new OSX before "unsafe" hex.
--

(503) 754-4452
(623) 688-3392

http://www.it-clowns.com | http://www.obnosis.com