Re: How to rotate videos (and retain quality)?

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to rotate videos (and retain quality)?
You could try doing it in OpenShot. I do not know about loss of quality,
but here is what the manual says:

Rotate Effect

    * OpenShot Video Editor Manual – v1.2.0

If you need to rotate a clip 90 degrees, 180 degrees, or even animate the
rotation around in circles, OpenShot has a Rotate effect which can help.

OpenShot has two types of rotation effects available, fixed and animated.
To apply a rotation effect, switch to the Effects Tab on the main window,
and drag the Rotate effect onto your clip.

To adjust your rotation settings, right-click on the clip and choose
Properties. Then switch to the Effects tab on the properties window, and
click on the Rotate effect. This will bring up a list of rotation settings
that can be adjusted. Try changing each setting, and use the Play Button to
preview the effect.

    * 16.1. Fixed Rotation
    * 16.2. Animated Rotation

16.1. Fixed Rotation

A fixed rotation can rotate a video 90 degrees, 180 degrees, or any number
of degrees you need. It does not animate the rotation. This is useful when
you record a video sideways, and need to rotate it. To use a fixed
rotation, only adjust the settings with that start with “Fixed”. Be sure to
adjust the other settings back to zero.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 5:46 PM, <> wrote:

> Searching the 'net for a simple command-line solution for rotating videos,
> I found one method using 'mencoder' but the quality deteriorated terribly.
>
> mencoder -ovc lavc -vf rotate=1 -oac pcm input.mp3 -o input2.mp3
>
> Is there a modification to retain the image quality ... or another better
> solution?

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson