Re: OT: Teaching at a CC

Author: Benjamin Francom
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Teaching at a CC
Do small city colleges suffer the same fate? I have a brother that
works for a small state college in UT, teaching CS and IT courses, and
he loves it. Pay/retirement/time off is excellent, and has politics
like any job would have.

Is it worse in larger cities? Is this case the exception? Or are CS/IT
folk less inclined to play politics?

From my experience, "The top two OSI layers are politics and money"
and are more important than the other 7.

(I can't remember where I read that quote)

-Ben

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Eric Cope <> wrote:
> I don't speak from personal experience, but based on talking to professors
> at ASU, things only get more political the higher you go. Community college
> is less political than Universities. Based on those conversations, I agree
> that Lisa sugar coated it, and may even have some chocolate syrup on it too!
>
> Eric
>
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:54 AM, Alan Dayley <> wrote:
>>
>> WARNING: Tangential comment ahead!
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Kevin Fries <> wrote:
>> > I loved my time in the classroom, interacting with the students.  Hated
>> > all
>> > the rest.  The only way I for one would ever consider going back to it
>> > would
>> > be as a retirement, get out of the house once or twice a week kind of
>> > situation.  For Lisa sugar coated the nightmare of politicking at a
>> > modern
>> > college.
>> >
>> > I was offered by a major university (Regius University) to finish my
>> > degree
>> > and come teach for them, and understand its not as bad at that level,
>> > but
>> > choose the corporate world because it was so nasty at the CC.
>>
>> Ugh.
>>
>> "nightmare of politicking" "nasty"
>>
>> Makes me sad.  Another reason our current education system needs to
>> change.
>>
>> http://www.ted.com/talks/sugata_mitra_the_child_driven_education.html
>>
>> Alan

Benjamin Francom
Information Technology Executive
http://www.benjaminfran.com

"Nobody is as smart as everybody.  No matter how smart, no matter how
educated, no matter how brilliant a company you have, you can't be as
smart and educated and as brilliant as everyone around the world.
That's how open-source works."
-Josh A. Krevitt (Redhat and Novell Attorney)