Re: Compact Flash cards

+ (text/html)
Author: gm5729
To: PLUGAZ
Subject: Re: Compact Flash cards
On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 16:48, gm5729 <> wrote:

> GPT disk
>
> A GPT disk uses the GUID partition table (GPT) disk partitioning system. A
> GPT disk offers these benefits:
>
> Allows up to 128 primary partitions. (MBR disks can support up to four
> primary partitions and an infinite number of partitions inside an extended
> partition.)
>
> Allows a much larger volume size - greater than 2 TB, which is the limit
> for MBR disks.
>
> Provides greater reliability due to replication and cyclical redundancy
> check (CRC) protection of the partition table.
>
> Can be used as a storage volume on all x64-based platforms.
>
> --
> --
>
> Remember it's not that we have something to hide, we just have nothing we
> want to show.
> ---Keep tunnelling.

Yes I did. cfdisk and fdisk will ruin the mappings on the drive. I have
found with most installers that upon ELF trying to boot there is a GPT error
and the installer won't let you continue. IF you can continue and you use
the above tools in their present state you will probably in the very
strongly realm get instabilities. If you add such things as LVM2, RAID, etc
etc they can increase.

In my case and this has taken me 6 months to figure out along with someone
who is developing a hybrid iso/usb installer. My MBR got overwritten by the
/boot partition by 2 bytes. Doesn't sound like much, until you install a
bootloader and it overwrites the /boot partition by that 2 bytes. Now if
your computer is having a bad day, which in this case it is you might not be
able to boot or you might have no /boot. So I would encourage using the
proper tools so as not get surprises in your xmas stocking.

vp