Re: Killing PLUG softly

+ (text/html)
Author: JD Austin
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Killing PLUG softly
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 21:00, Micah DesJardins <> wrote:

> I'm tired of the games. I'm tired of the posturing, I'm tired of the
> egos. I can get tech discussion almost anywhere, and I have chosen in
> the past to remain a part of plug because it is local, and I
> appreciate and respect the opinions of many people on this list with
> regard to LINUX and TECHNOLOGY. I've watched a lot of old timers fade
> away nearly every time this sort of things happen, and each time, I've
> stayed and done my best to contribute to keeping the discussion on
> topic and relevant.
>
> To be clear, I could care less about your political or religious
> leanings, or your post apocalyptic economic conspiracy theories. I
> made it clear how I felt and the group consensus seems to be there's
> nothing that can be done besides filter or unsubscribe. In fact many
> people aren't even bothered by the discussion and consider it to be
> 'interesting.' I'm not interested. I'm not upset or incensed. I'm
> BORED. I can't see the use in filtering specific people, I find it's
> a waste of my time and doubtless it will only reduce 10% of the list
> traffic that I consider the originators of the "spam", as the other
> 90% is backlash and rehash by other members. I don't see any way to
> get the leadership of PLUG to take notice other than to vote with my
> feet. Alan, Hans, if the rules ever change, I'd love to come back.
> It's a shame to see a few bad apples spoil the barrel. To those of
> you who rock, I salute you. It's been a fun seven years and feel free
> to look me up or pick my brain off list. I'll still be on plug-dev
> unless things there go the same direction they have on plug-discuss.
>
> So long, and thanks for all the fish

Micah I don't think this group has any dictators and it isn't moderated
(which is why I still subscribe after all these years) and as long as people
are civil ( there were a few messages on both sides that went overboard in
this and the other thread) I don't mind off topic conversations even if I
disagree 100% with those people. We have off topic threads on this list
all the time and you'll never hear me complain about it. If I did decide to
unsubscribe I'd just do it without a long swan song or a threat to the
list. The other thread and this one are probably the LEAST boring that
I've seen in a long time. It is unfortunate that you'd choose to quit
rather than just wait a day or so for it to go away because unless people
fan the flames or try to censor people it will go away naturally.