GUI Firewall configuration tools WAS HP LaserJet troubleshoo…

Author: Trent Shipley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: GUI Firewall configuration tools WAS HP LaserJet troubleshooting
JD Austin wrote:
> The other port is 9100
>
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Matt Graham <
> <mailto:danceswithcrows@usa.net>> wrote:
>
>     From: Trent Shipley < <mailto:tshipley@deru.com>>
>     > I have an HP LaserJet.

>     Model#?  They only made about 300 different models of those things.
>     It's probably not important here, but may be later.

>     > The three Macs find it and print to it, when I boot my Mac into
>     > windows it prints fine. Unfortunately the Ubuntu 9.04.x box can't
>     > find it.  If I bring up the browser based manager for CUPS, I can't
>     > find anything.  I give it the IP address for the [printer], still
>     > nothing.  I try the HP Linux printer utility and have no luck.

>     In Gentoo, if I didn't have the snmp USE flag defined, the hplip
>     utilities couldn't see or print to any networked HP printers.  This
>     shouldn't be a problem under Debian-derived things though. Also, make
>     sure there aren't any overly-restrictive firewall rules in place like
>     a default DROP without a corresponding ACCEPT for whatever port this
>     is using.  That'd cause the problems you describe.

>     > What I'd like is a systematic diagnostic plan to start
>     > troubleshooting

>     Make sure you can ping the printer from the Ubuntu box first.  Then
>     see if you can "telnet $PRINTER_IP 631" and get a connection (if
>     this thing does IPP), or use whatever port the thing uses.

>     --
>     Matt G / Dances With Crows
>     The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.org/wordpress/
>     There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

HP Color LaserJet 3600n
#It occurs to me it is probably poor security form to discuss property
on an email list or social networking site.

ping == pass;
telnet == fail;

Disable firewall --> printing --> pass!!

I bet that's a huge part of my problem with Samba. That and getting by
Ubuntu box to be the primary domain controller.

Does anybody use Guarddog to configure their desktop firewall?