Re: Sonoran Penguin

Author: R P Herrold
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Sonoran Penguin
On Wed, 5 Aug 2009, Joshua Zeidner wrote:

> Nothing substantial can be organized unless there is clear
> management. Who will determine what is an 'improvement' and what is a
> total failure? PLUG needs to grow up and harness the talents that we
> currently have in abundance. Stop with these silly games pretending
> no one is running the show.

Someone pays the domain renewal bill (if any); someone pays,
or calls a favor, with the location the box is hosted; someone
has root on that box. Find those answers, and you have the
throat to choke.

Unhappy with those answers? Can't figure it out? Fork and
out-perform the incumbent. Running code talks. This is FOSS
after all.

No slam on der Hans, or Lisa. Running a LUG is hard;
running it for years and years is even harder

Bring your own domain registration for a LUG, and I'll provide
access to a host for a virthost website, mailing list, etc on
a box that has in its past hosted Distrowatch, the Metro
Detroit LUG, the Tampa LUG, a couple of defunct LUGs, and the
Central OH LUG (currently). Others as well, but I fergit.

But kvetching about it and not acting is just pointless.

-- Russ herrold