Re: Must have app list, desktop edition?

+ (text/html)
Author: Lisa Kachold
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Must have app list, desktop edition?
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Stephen <> wrote:

> So what is your list of apps that you install, every time on a new
> machine, the handful of things that you "must" have and find yoruself
> apt-getting yum installing or emergeing?
>
> --
>
> Stephen

Ah, is this a network (completely base) install [I hope you all start with
nothing and remove all but needed stuff at least?]?

X11/gdm/KDE

nmap, netcat,
iptraf
zsh
gdb, glibc, ddd, strace, valgrind, NLKD, GHex, Okteta, BIEW, hview(big
files), HT Editor, HexCurse, hexedit, Data Workshop,VCHE, DHEX (I hate
emacs)
vim
puppet (ruby)
perl
java
ssmtp (gmail)
snort (really easy to setup via puppet and leave logging to central place)
nagios (puppet setup)

depending on the boxes use:
eclipse
virtualbox
firefox
openvpn
openssl keys
openssh

See my LinuxGazette column in July for the HackFest Puppet Theatre in August
for more on puppet configuration and installation.

--
(503)754-4452 wiki.obnosis.com
scientology.obnosis.com