Re: Must have app list, desktop edition?

Author: Jim March
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Must have app list, desktop edition?
Kolourpaint. This is basically MacPaint/MSPaint on steroids. It's a
perfect simple photomanipulation tool if you don't want to get into
"layers" and such...it has a "smooth scale" function to resize
graphics, a decent special effects palette, basically has all the
image manipulation stuff found in both Irfanview and MS-Paint and then
some. Best simple image editor/resizer out there. When I first got
into Linux three years ago I used Irfanview in Wine but dumped it the
moment I saw Kolourpaint.

VLC is a must-have for video playback.

Battle for Wesnoth is a kick-ass game :).

Stellarium is great if for nothing else than showing off what FOSS can
do. Awesome eye candy.

Virtualbox is my top choice for virtual machines. I always keep a
full WinXP build going in it. There are things I have to use Windows
for - taking apart Diebold election databases in MS-Access for one,
re-initializing my cellular modem with Verizon's Windows tools (when
they change cell towers now and again) is another. (Ubuntu can use my
cellmodem just fine but cannot yet do the "sync-up process".)

Jim