Re: OT: What does this symbol mean §

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: What does this symbol mean §
Any Unicode symbol is available from the keyboard in Gnome (I believe KDE has a similar function) by entering Ctrl-Shift-<hex value(s)> (i.e. hold Ctrl-Shift, type 05d005ea, and get את).
Some recent distributions seem to have disabled this, however, so YMMV.

Linux also has the ability to compose diacritical characters (like è, È, ñ, Ñ, or Æ) with the "compose" key (I mapped mine to that worthless "Menu" key). Just press compose-~n, or compose-AE for ñ or Æ.

beyond that, you can copy/paste characters from the character map application into just about anything.

All of this assumes you have enabled unicode support in the system, some distros default to less capable settings.

BTW, if you're running Windows, you can hold Alt and enter 0-dddd to enter the decimal number for a unicode character (character appears when you release alt).
Mac has a similar capability with the option key, although I've never used it, so I don't recall the specifics.