Re: OK (was: Re: [...] free wiki [hosting] (was: Re: Blender…

+ (text/html)
Author: Matthew A Coulliette
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OK (was: Re: [...] free wiki [hosting] (was: Re: BlenderCAD: [...]))

Mike,

    I hope I did not offend you.  I am simply tired of seeing CAD
projects started and then fizzing out before they have any real
progress to show for themselves.  I am sure there are many people more
qualified than myself to run this project, however, from my perspective
they have had their chance.  I have sat back and waited for years for a
full featured CAD program, but one was never completed, or finished
enough to be usable.
    I am willing to devote myself to this project for up to 10 years if
I have too.  I have already invested a lot of time and money to this
project before I went public with it.  It was only recently that I felt
I was close enough to my goals to ask for help.  It is my devotion and
what I feel is a sufficient knowledge of Linux and CAD that caused me
to volunteer to run/host this project.
    Getting people interested in the project is turning out to be
easier than getting people to help with the project.  Although, I want
to be sensitive to other peoples ideas, I also want the project to keep
moving forward, and not sideways.  If I let the project change
directions every time someone has an idea then it might keep moving
sideways indefinitely.  On the other hand if I ignore everyone's ideas
I doubt anyone will help.
    This project is at a very difficult point in it's development.  I
feel that I am at that point where I need to expand, and finding a few
dedicated, and somewhat like minded people to help me run it is proving
difficult.  Although, many people say they are interested in the
project, or they are willing to give me advice on how to run the
project.  I have yet to receive a phone call or an email telling me
when they will be coming over to help.
     The biggest problem I have right now is finishing a few glitches
in the infrastructure and getting the website up and running.  After
that I believe we should be in good shape, because then we can run the
project from the website.  This will keep the amount of local help
needed to a minimum.

Sincerely,
MatthewMPP

Mike Schwartz wrote:
OK,
it was not my intention to "insist" on a certain idea.  Just to
"offer" an idea.
If you are willing and able, to do certain things, then --
great!
...and as far as, who "should" make the decisions... I might not
know the answer to that one, but apparently (in this case at least), it
is someone "other than me".
--
Mike
Schwartz

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Matthew A
Coulliette <>
wrote:

Hi,

    I appreciate the brainstorming, and at one point I considered
something along these lines.  However, having an electrical background,
computer science comes naturally to me.  I built a raid 5 data server,
a raid 1 web server, a router, and 4 workstations.  With the web server
running raid 1 and occasionally backed up to the raid 5 data server, I
believe the data should be adequately backed up.  I am having a few
problems with implementing the software which I was hoping someone
would help me with, but, no worries either way.  I will eventually
learn how to over come any obstacle that is in front of me.
    I do not mean to be insensitive, I know that if I work alone on
this project it might very well take me the rest of my life, and that
would not be in the spirit of linux.  To me the spirit of linux is us
working together to over come obstacles that we would not be able to
over come by ourselves.  I also know that when people volunteer on a
project they like to feel that their opinion counts, (and it should
count).  However, the project manager (the person dedicated to seeing
the project all the way from beginning to end) must be the guiding
hand, in order to give the project stability and direction.  To me,
this is especially true with linux, where there are some ways of doing
the same thing.

MatthewMPP

Lisa Kachold wrote:

Great idea Mike!

The same thing is available with php/mysql and mail for about $20.00
upgrade on free stuff at 110mb.com - see examples
wiki.obnosis.com
nuke.obnosis.com
moodle.obnosis.com

I have a few others....what did I name them?

<meningioma moment>