Re: Linux in a Nutshell (O'Reilly book)

+ (text/html)
Author: Mark Jarvis
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Linux in a Nutshell (O'Reilly book)

I was a mainframe developer who was retreaded as a Unix SysAdmin and
worked at that for 10+ years and two companies. Maybe some of you have
the kind of memories that can remember all the options for all the *nix
commands. I was constantly checking details of a command that I hadn't used recently. Yes, the man pages are wonderful, but often as not
they told me more than I wanted to know about a command. Once I
found the O'Reilly Unix in a Nutshell, I seldom used them. The O'Reilly commands section had the commands, concise
explanations, and examples. The sections in
the Linux book about the boot loaders and how to work with them were a
great help when I branched into multi-boot PCs.

Maybe the difference is in developers writing C code and SysAdmins
poking around in the system, checking on things, and writing Korn or
Bash scripts (trying to keep systems up and the developers under
control).

-mj-