Re: Looking For RAID Hardware/Software Advice

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Looking For RAID Hardware/Software Advice
On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 11:14 -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:

>         2. Real hard to match processors at this point and unlikely
>         you would
>         find one that exactly matched. Might be easier to find 2 that
>         match each
>         other and install them both but for a backup box, that seems
>         unnecessary.

> I was trying to find another use for this monster (ie big imposing
> black Dell case....), so I thought I would have some fun with a dual
> processor.

----
a dual processor does have its advantages but I would suspect that a box
that only does backup processing wouldn't be of much use unless it
compresses the files on the fly (which may be what backuppc does)

the 'big' box tends to have a higher wattage power supply - i.e. can
support more hard drives and expansion slots.
----
>         5. Cheap RAID hardware cards are cheap because they suck. Most
>         of the
>         SATA 'RAID' cards are either 'fake' RAID (they aren't really
>         hardware
>         RAID) and perform especially poorly on commonly used RAID 5 (3
>         drives
>         minimum but maximum drive space).

> So, I need three 500GB drives, not 2? And 3 PCI SATA controllers
> (based on your comments below)? Any recommendations on
> manufacturerers? Do all three drives have to be the same?

----
interesting thought for sure...SATA is notorious for slow RAID 5. That
would likely help but I don't know for sure.
----

>         6. Makes sense.

> Especially since you are better at creating a list of 6 consecutive
> numbers than I am. ;-)

----
sometimes - not always.

Craig