Re: Quad Monitor in Linux

+ (text/html)
Author: Charles Jones
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Quad Monitor in Linux
Kurt Granroth wrote:
> Charles Jones wrote:
>
>> Kurt Granroth wrote:

>>> Not quad, but I was successful with a tri-monitor setup. I see no
>>> reason why four wouldn't work.
>>>

>> One of my co-workers had a quad setup for awhile, and finally settled on
>> a tri-way vertical setup (
>> http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/albums/cellpics/DSC01728.jpg ) and
>> moved the larger monitor to a display for his macbook Pro.
>>
>> I am currently running 2 22" in a similar vertical setup, but since I
>> have 2 video cards with dual output I dont see any reason I couldn't go
>> quad if I wanted to. I think 3 would be plenty for me. The vertical
>> setup is really nice especially when you want a really long terminal or
>> browser window. Uses less (physical) desktop space too.
>>

> That is a good point. It's tempting to say "bigger is always better"...
> but you start to run into physical limitations with multiple big screens.
>
> At home, I have two 22" monitors. That's just shy of 4 ft wide. I
> cannot see all of both screens at the same time.
>
> At work, I have three 22" monitors. That's very nearly 6 ft wide.
> That's bigger than many home theater screens and in that case, you are
> usually sitting at least 10 ft away. At about 2-3 feet away from the
> screens, when I'm looking at content on the 3rd screen, I can't see the
> 1st screen at all.
>
> FOUR 22" monitors is approaching 8 ft wide. That's about as wide as
> some rooms. That's seriously in the territory of "is my desk big
> enough" and "what possible use could those be"?
>
> The only way I could see four screens being useful is if they were
> stacked in a 2x2 grid. Then, if you lowered the lower two (or raised
> yourself) so that the intersection of the four was at eye level, then
> maybe that would look like one huge screen and would be useful. That's
> pushing it, though...
>
> All that said, before I had 3 monitors, I would have sworn that that was
> too much... yet I use all three constantly every single day and would
> loath having to give even one of them up. Maybe my tune would change if
> they gave me one more ;-)

I highly recommend going vertical. Here is my current workstation at
work: http://www.the-ownage.com/gallery/albums/cellpics/DSC02050.jpg
If those were in horizontal layout, I would probably have a sore neck
from swiveling too and fro :) At home I have dual 19" normal aspect
monitors, and that is tolerable, but widescreens just eat too much
physical space when placed side by side.

Note: here is a line from my grub.conf which properly rotates the
console, so that the boot sequence and any virtual terminals are also
vertical.
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.26.3-29.fc9.i686 ro root=LABEL=/ fbcon=rotate:3
fbcon:scollback:128k vga=0x317 rhgb

My monitors did not initially come with swivel-capable stands, but a
coworker of mine found a lot of 7 of them on ebay for like $50 total.