Re: [postmortem and HOWTO] DNS lookup fails connecting to se…

Author: Ryan Rix
To: Ryan Rix, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: [postmortem and HOWTO] DNS lookup fails connecting to server on same network
On Mon November 3 2008 10:09:51 pm I wrote:
> Everything works shiningly, except for one thing: when I try to access the
> server via its fqdn, my laptop returns a DNS error, unknown host.

Hi,

as of Saturday this is solved.

As to why dhclient was automatically adding those invalid DNS servers...:
rrix@wanton:~$ cat /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf|grep prepend
#prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
prepend domain-name-servers 63.208.196.113, 63.208.196.114;

That's where the invalid entries came from. I didn't notice this until about
15 minutes ago... :] But, yeah, that would have fixed the issues two weeks
ago.

Basically, before saturday night, i was being forced to manually remove these
entries from my /etc/resolve.conf, which was quite the pain, since the file
was reupdated every hour or so...

So, I read around, and decided that installing my own DNS server, the bind9
package in debian, which provides named, the Internet Domain Name Server
Daemon, onto my laptop. It required absolutely no configuration using it in
this sort of setup. While this is quite the solution, installing my own
nameserver... it works!

The only thing I had to do at this point was to, yeah, i know, disable
dhclient from autoupdating the resolv.conf file (I didn't do this in the
first place because the laptop goes to multiple ISPs and I am not sure how,
for example, qwest would like me connecting to Cox DNS or vice versa so did
not think it was a viable solution until i had my own dns up.) and replace
the /etc/resolv.conf file with one pointing to localhost...
$echo nameserver 127.0.0.1 > /etc/resolv.conf
as root.

Then you are set for good!
(consider this a quickie on bind9 :P )

~Ryan

--
Thanks and best regards,
Ryan Rix

And just when you thought you've seen it all, along comes a
Lambda four foot tall