Re: How to transfer files between computers on a network

+ (text/html)
Author: Michael Sammartano
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Josef Lowder
Subject: Re: How to transfer files between computers on a network

Josef,
You have left out quite a bit of information. I have only seen one close answer so far, IMO.
Firstly>> What is the network type? Home, Business?
Second>> Critical info or non-critical?
Third>> Operating system/s involved
Fourth>> Amount of time sharing will be needed?
Fifth>> Type of equipment?
So far we only know you want to transfer over wireless to 2 pc's and to a wired number of pc's. Without knowing if you are using a true "HUB", router or switch, this is difficult to answer. With many assuming it is a Linux environment, scp is ok, but there are simpler methods. If this is an office/home environment and it has mixed OS's there are still better solutions. What type of file sharing are we looking at? Do you need to do all day everyday transfers or just copy small files periodically? Are you working in a strictly peer to peer environment or a server (Domain) type of environment? Application sharing (such as with Point in Real Estate) or someother Database app?
All of these and more need to answered for a good accurate solution.! Simply put, SCP may not be the best answer. Also you have not said what type of "internet access" there will be. If none, ten everything changes. Please provide specifics.. Trust me, the more info you provide, the better the answers you will receive.
Michael Sammartano

---- Josef Lowder <> wrote:
> I have two computers connected via an ethernet hub
> and two more connected by wireless. What is the
> best way to copy or transfer files between them?

Please visit
http://www.iconnetworksolutions.com