Re: How to transfer files between computers on a network

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: How to transfer files between computers on a network
Josef Lowder wrote:
> I have two computers connected via an ethernet hub
> and two more connected by wireless. What is the
> best way to copy or transfer files between them?

I assume we are talking about Linux systems? The answers may vary if
there there are Windows systems in the mix.

My rule of thumb is roughly this:

For one file, one time, I use 'scp'

For lots of files, I use 'rsync'

For one file, multiple times, I use 'rsync'

For multiple arbitrary files (pick-and-choose), I use the 'fish://'
protocol in Konqueror. I also use 'fish://' if I want to preview the
files before transferring them.

More?

For copying to Windows boxes, I copy the files onto a Samba share. Or I
use 'rsync' via Cygwin

For copying to OS X, I either use Samba (already set up for my Windows
systems) or AppleShare (via netatalk). Or rsync or scp or fish://

For making a perfect copy to a remote system, I tar it up and send to
stdout which is piped to ssh which tunnels it to tar accepting data via
stdin.

(I've also used NFS and iSCSI a bit but that's more "sharing" files than
copying them)