Re: backup software recommendations?

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: backup software recommendations?
Alex Dean wrote:
> I need backup software for a home network. Mix of Linux and OSX
> machines. Will be using an external HDD for backup media. The backup
> server will run on one of the OSX machines, since it's the only
> non-laptop I have. I'm mainly looking for something that's easy to
> configure and has minimal resource consumption.
>
> I've read a bit about BackupPC and Bacula. So far, BackupPC seems
> preferable because it looks much simpler. (No client software to
> install. Cool!) I'm interested in any opinions about these 2 packages,
> or recommendations on other programs I ought to have a look at.

I've used 'rsnapshot' to great success in the past. It's almost
trivially simple to setup and works great. It doesn't do anything
"fancy", though, like file pooling between multiple machines or archive
compression or anything like that.

If your OS X machine is running Leopard, then you might seriously
consider just using Time Machine. Time Machine is pretty sweet. Unless
something has changed, though, it doesn't handle networked drives. You
could always just create a massive folder on your OS X drive and rsync
everything from your Linux boxes over every now and then, though.

I haven't used Bacula at all. I have used BackupPC. If you think it
looks simpler than it's only because you haven't really gotten into it
yet. BackupPC is a *bear*. Not at all for the faint of heart.

Kurt